Four Ways to Become an American Citizen

America is the land of opportunity and many people from around the world make it their goal in life that someday they would come here to become American Citizens. However, it’s not very simple to enter America, much less become a citizen. There are many stringent laws you have to wiggle through just to get a legal immigrant status.  Even having a green card does not guarantee that you will become a citizen. However, if you have help from a reliable immigration lawyer, you might be able to pull it off.  Now here are some shortcuts to get an American Citizenship.

Green Card Naturalization

If you already have a green card, it will be much easier for you to become a naturalized citizen of the United States.  All you have to do is make sure you have your green card for five years, be a good person without getting involved in any felony and learn the basics of American history.  If you have passed all these requirements, you should talk to an immigration lawyer who can guide you on the application process.

Marrying an American Citizen

If you have had your green card for three years and are married to a US citizen also for three years, you can apply for a citizenship status.  There are of course many requirements for this method, which you should discuss  with an immigration lawyer. Some of the eligibility requirements are that you have a green card for 3 years and have stayed in The US for a minimum time of 18 months.  Despite all the requirements, you can tell that this is an easier way to get naturalized than waiting for 5 years.

Marrying an American Citizen Working Abroad (where you are)

If you fall in love and get married to an American citizen who is working in your country as an employee of the US government, you are in luck. This is probably the easiest way to get a citizenship in the US. First there is no minimum time of being a green card holder needed.   Second, there is no minimum time of living in the US needed just as long as your spouse is a United States citizen.

Join the Military

America honors the service of the people who put their lives on the line to fight for the country.  If you are a legal resident, but has not been naturalized yet, you will have a good chance of becoming naturalized by joining the army.  You have to serve for one year and if you have been discharged from military service, you have to be discharged honorably and without tarnish to reputation.  You have to talk with your immigration lawyer for the requirements.

Becoming a naturalized US citizen will open a big door of opportunity for you. There are many methods whereby a person can be naturalized based on the situation.  But one thing is for sure, having a good immigration lawyer helps a lot.

Posted in Articles and tagged , , .