How to Get the E2 Investor Visa with Help from an Immigration Lawyer

Are you considering starting a business in the United States? Make sure to gather all of the necessary information before proceeding. Getting a much-coveted investor visa is by no means an easy task.

If you come from one of the treaty nations, you will need to apply for an E2 investor visa.

Here is what you should know about the E2 investor visa.

Who can qualify?

In order to qualify for such a visa, you need to make a substantial investment, which will contribute to the economy of the United States. Ways to do so include investing in an existing business, purchasing a business already operating, or starting a business in the U.S.A. that will create at least ten jobs.

A substantial investment generally means at least $300,000. On occasion, smaller amounts may be allowed if the investor is considered to make a worthwhile contribution to the U.S. economy.

Generally the funds in the individual’s personal account or business are not sufficient to qualify for an E2 Visa. Bear in mind, a promissory note cannot be considered for investment capital unless the investor demonstrates the note to be secured by his/her assets.

Whichever investment path you choose, you will have to work your way through a fair amount of paperwork, which may be quite daunting at times. Therefore, it may be a good idea to turn to an immigration lawyer for assistance.

Why consult an immigration lawyer?

An experienced immigration attorney can assess the strength of your application and help you through the process, indicating which steps you should take to qualify for the visa.   Furthermore, an immigration attorney can make your life easier, helping you sift through the paperwork and determine what you need to submit and what you don’t.

If you plan to start a new business, you should submit evidence of the investment fund transfer and a document that certifies your capital was obtained in a lawful manner.

Any responsible entrepreneur keen to increase the success rate of his application should consult an immigration lawyer before starting the paperwork.

An immigration attorney may also provide assistance in coaching you for the interview at the embassy, one of the many steps that need to be completed in the process of getting a visa. Generally, you can expect to wait 30 to 90 days before getting a response. Therefore, it is wiser to make travel arrangements after you got the visa instead of before you apply. Most of the time, the State Department processes the application within 30 days, but on occasion it may take longer.

Once approved, the E2 visa needs to be renewed every year. This type of visa does not require that you remain in the U.S., but allows you the option of returning to your home country anytime or traveling back and forth. This will come in handy if your family decides not to come with you to the United States. On the other hand, if your family (spouse and dependent children) wants to accompany you, they too can get E2 visas.

Posted in Articles and tagged , , , , , , .