Immigration Tips: Best Types of Jobs to Get an Employment-Based Green Card

If you have been involved in the process, you know that getting permanent resident status in the U.S. is not at all an easy or straightforward process. However, there are certain types of employment which may open the door for immigrants. As any well-informed immigration attorney will tell you, the employment-based immigration process is an ideal route to obtaining permanent residence. Not only can the employment-based process take significantly less time than family-based immigration, employers willing to sponsor foreign nationals often have access to financial, legal, and other resources that can smooth the way toward a successful immigration application.

So, certain types of jobs will present a faster chance at being a good basis for a green card application.  Here are a few essential things to keep in mind.

  • The employment preference categories generally classify jobs by the level of education necessary to fulfill the duties of the job. For example, an entry level Computer Programmer position would likely need at minimum a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, while a Nuclear Physicist position would likely need at least a master’s degree in Physics.
  • The first preference category is generally reserved for people who have display of extraordinary abilities, they are outstanding figures in the world of research, multinational business and managing.  Typically, this preference includes only top, award winning scientists or global artists.
  •  As not everyone is so lucky to be included in the first preference, you might have a chance to be included into second preference. This is another category where people with high university degrees and exceptional abilities are included.  Second preference visa numbers are generally quickly available, with short or no wait times. Even better, there is a wider variety of careers that meet the Second Preference requirements. If an employer is willing to sponsor you for a green card, and your proposed position normally requires at least a Master’s degree-level education or the equivalent, you can likely qualify for Second Preference.  Careers in this level typically include Accountants, Civil Engineers, Computer Engineers, Financial or Investment Managers, Business or Management Analysts, and Chemists or Chemical Engineers.
  • There is also the third preference category which will require at least a BA in a certain field. This can be a much more accessible means of gaining permanent residence through employment. Wait times are longer though, as this is more crowded a category. You may have to wait for four years or longer after an employer files a petition for you to start the process of getting you a green card. As your immigration attorney will advise you, this arrangement requires quite a bit of planning, as well as a good working relationship between you and your employer.


No matter what route you are taking with your visa application process, you should consult an immigration attorney, someone specialized and knowledgeable with the process.