How to Obtain Family Green Cards with Help from an Immigration Attorney

Any US legal permanent resident and/or US citizen is given the opportunity to reunite his/her family, by becoming a sponsor for the eligible family members who want to immigrate to America. In order to attain this goal, the petitioners have to meet several conditions. Obtaining a family green card can easily become a real hassle for those who lack the patience, the knowledge and the expertise required to conduct and finalize this complex process. However, an immigration lawyer can simplify your work and spare you the effort, by providing a free consultation and indicating all the steps that you should follow, to be able to bring your loved ones close to you, on US territory.

Everything you need to know about family green cards application process

  • If you plan to request a green card for one of your family members, start by filling out the Form-I 130. After completing this first phase, you, as a petitioner, will have to present documents reflecting your permanent US resident status and then gather all the evidence reflecting the fact that your family member is eligible for your sponsorship, like for instance, a marriage certificate or a birth certificate. You must also prove that you have the financial means required to support your entire family at 125 percent over the mandated poverty line.
  • An immigration attorney can make things so much easier for you, by helping you handle all the paperwork and giving you comprehensive details on what’s left to be done. With help from your attorney, follow all the instructions indicated by the Petition for Alien Relative form.

Which are the preference categories?

If you are currently trying to reunite your family by bringing your relatives on American territory, you should know that there are several preference categories:

  • Family First Preference (F1) Unmarried sons and daughters of US citizens, who are over 21 years old
  • Family Second Preference (F2) Husbands and wives, minor children (under 21) and unmarried adults over 21 of legal US residents
  • Family Third Preference (F3) Married daughters and sons of US citizens, regardless of their age
  • Family Fourth Preference (F4) Sisters and brothers of American citizens

A higher preference indicates a shorter waiting time for a visa. You should also know that you, as a US citizen or a permanent legal resident, cannot sponsor uncles and aunts, grandmothers and grandparents, nieces and nephews and any other family members apart from the ones listed above. However, you could still help them come to the US for a well-determined period of time, with a visitor visa or by exploring various other legal means enabling you to reunite your family on American territory, for a certain period of time.

How can an immigration attorney help you?

When applying for family green cards, it is recommended to count on expert guidance ensured by a reputable immigration attorney who will enable you save time and avoid delays and huge mistakes that could compromise your efforts. An immigration lawyer will help you gather the required documents and fill out the forms properly, while making sure that your beloved family members arrive in the US as soon as possible.