When to Find an Immigration Lawyer

Immigration policies have been the subject of debate among top ranking government officials for many years now. Some want to ease the immigration laws while others want to tighten them. All the while, many non-citizen immigrants are caught in the middle of the foray not knowing whether they will still be allowed in the country or be sent back to the place they left.

Being deported is a big problem especially for those who have already built their new life in the US.  Naturally, everyone who comes to live here wants to become an American citizen. However, the immigration laws in the US are full of technical twists and turns and if you find yourself if you’re confused, it is always best to contact an immigration lawyer instead of applying for a VISA yourself.

If you find yourself in any of this situation, it’s a sign that you need to get help from an immigration lawyer to sort things out.

If You Are Inadmissible

If an immigration officer says you are inadmissible to be a citizen of the US, that’s a big problem. Sometimes their reasons are valid like if you had a previous run-in with the law or if there was a time you lied to the government. There are also times when the inadmissible status is the result of some mix-up, like if someone with the same first and last name as you is listed as a criminal. However, a big problem doesn’t mean it’s insurmountable.  Many immigration attorneys are willing to help you if you go to them. They have the expertise and perseverance to fight for your cause to the immigration department.

If You Are in Immigration Court Proceedings

Being in an immigration court deportation (removal) proceedings is not where you want to be if you are a non-citizen living unlawfully here, because it’s just a step away from being deported. If you haven’t contacted a deportation attorney yet, then it’s time you do it. You can’t defend yourself alone and you need a reliable counsel to fight alongside you in your quest to hurdle the immigration court proceedings.

If You Are Overwhelmed by the Paperwork 

The most dreaded immigration forms are one of the reasons many people choose to remain non-citizens. They’re just too complicated and full of details that they can make anyone nauseous by just looking at them for the first time. To make the problem worse, a single mistake can lead to outright rejection, which means you have to start again. On the other hand, lawyers working on immigration services are already used to these paper works. They are highly knowledgeable about these matters so they can fill them out for you with the information you provide them.

If You Are Encountering Delays

Delays not only waste your time, but also your energy especially when your continued stay in the country you have begun to love is at risk. More often than not, delays are not caused by valid reasons.They’re usually because of the inefficiency of the bureaucracy to get its act together.  Often, technicalities only serve to lengthen your agonizing wait. However, you can solve this problem by contacting a green card attorney who can help you sort things. They know the law and all the technicalities that can be causing the delays in processing your papers.

When it comes to immigration and deportation problems, non-citizen immigrants in the US should try to get hold of a lawyer to assist them. The law of immigration is unnecessarily complex and confusing for a regular person to tackle alone.

Marrying a US Citizen Does Not Automatically Make You a Citizen

Many immigrants, legal or otherwise, mistakenly believe that if they marry a US citizen they will automatically gain citizenship. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Marrying a US citizen can, however, prevent immediate deportation if your visa has expired or you have been found living in the US illegally. These steps can stop or at least slow down the deportation process, and get you started on becoming a US citizen so you don’t have to leave your spouse behind in the future.


In order for your marriage to keep you from being deported, you must be able to prove to the courts that the marriage didn’t take place solely to keep you in the States. If you have paid someone to marry you, for example, the deportation will likely still continue. You need to be able to prove that your marriage took place with someone you were already living with, or planning to marry anyway. In most cases, if your marriage is legitimate – and particularly if there is a child involved – you should be able to stay in the US for a period of time after your marriage to start the naturalization process.

After Your Marriage

As soon as your marriage has taken place, you will be eligible to apply for a green card. Apply for your green card right away, as this will work to further prevent deportation in the near future. Unless you have a criminal record, your status as “immediate relative to a US citizen” will make your chances of being denied a green card slim. Once you have your green card, you will have to live in the US for three years with your spouse before you can apply for naturalization.

Other Eligibility Requirements

If you have to travel outside the US during the three years before you apply for naturalization, you must be physically present in the US for at least a year and a half of that time, and your permanent residence must always be within the US. If you are planning to move to a different state, make sure you are at your new home for at least three months before you apply for naturalization. You will need to be proficient in the English language and have a basic knowledge of US history and how the government works, but remember that you will have three years to study and to polish your English.

Hire an Immigration Lawyer

Even if you meet every requirement and think that you are the perfect candidate for US citizenship, you should hire an immigration lawyer to improve your chances of gaining citizenship. There are several forms you will have to fill out, as well as a thick stack of your own paperwork that you will need to provide, and an immigration attorney can make sure that your paperwork is in order and you are as ready for your interview as possible. The sooner you hire an immigration lawyer, the better your chances of successfully becoming a US citizen.

Immigration Lawyer’s Tips on Sponsoring a Family Member for Green Card

There are many known ways by which an individual can become a permanent resident or a Green Card holder in the United States. Some of the most frequent are through the Green Card lottery, investment in the U.S., asylum or refugee status and family membership. Many people still consider the easiest way to get your Green Card is through the sponsorship of an US citizen family member. According to the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services), this allows a citizen to sponsor a petition for an eligible family member so they can permanently move and work in the U.S.

If you are considering this, you should really seek help from a specialized immigration lawyer. Here are a few things to consider before applying:

1)    Who does it apply to?

Immediate relatives of the U.S. citizens qualify, such as parents (provided the citizen is 21 years old or older), spouses (wife or husband) and unmarried children (who aren’t 21 years old yet).

This applies to the immediate relative category, but there are also other ways. You can be sponsored under a family preference category and this includes:

–       Children who are not married and over 21 years of age

–       Siblings (above the age of 21)

–       Married children (there is no age limit applied here)

2)    Who is given special priority?

Generally, the USCIS permits a US citizen to sponsor immediate relatives in order to promote family values and unity. So, if you are an immediate relative of an U.S. citizen, you are given special priority and you won’t have to wait to get your visa.

3)    What are the first steps to take?

A Green Card holder or U.S. citizen will have to first file a petition, by filling in form I-130. If there are more relatives that person is trying to petition for, separate forms should be filled out for each individual. This petition will require the U.S. citizen to provide undeniable proof of status; a proof of birth or naturalization. A certificate of citizenship issued by USCIS will be required. Also, as a permanent resident, you will be asked for a copy of your Green Card. Additional steps will have to be taken in order to prove the relationship with the sponsored person, such as original and photocopied proof in the form of marriage or birth certificates and so on.

There are many other things you should consider when sponsoring someone to get a Green Card visa to the United States, as your immigration attorney will inform you. As a full-rights citizen, if you would like to sponsor one of your relatives who does not currently reside in the US, you will have to apply for Consular processing. If that relative already lives in the States, there will be an Adjustment of Status to apply for, and in some cases, Consular processing will also be required.

If you would like the process to be fast and efficient, it is not enough to look for online forms and apply. In most cases, a specialized immigration lawyer with a proven track record will be able to help you assess your particular situation, help you with the required paperwork and make sure everything will go smooth.