How to Get the E2 Investor Visa with Help from an Immigration Lawyer

Are you considering starting a business in the United States? Make sure to gather all of the necessary information before proceeding. Getting a much-coveted investor visa is by no means an easy task.

If you come from one of the treaty nations, you will need to apply for an E2 investor visa.

Here is what you should know about the E2 investor visa.

Who can qualify?

In order to qualify for such a visa, you need to make a substantial investment, which will contribute to the economy of the United States. Ways to do so include investing in an existing business, purchasing a business already operating, or starting a business in the U.S.A. that will create at least ten jobs.

A substantial investment generally means at least $300,000. On occasion, smaller amounts may be allowed if the investor is considered to make a worthwhile contribution to the U.S. economy.

Generally the funds in the individual’s personal account or business are not sufficient to qualify for an E2 Visa. Bear in mind, a promissory note cannot be considered for investment capital unless the investor demonstrates the note to be secured by his/her assets.

Whichever investment path you choose, you will have to work your way through a fair amount of paperwork, which may be quite daunting at times. Therefore, it may be a good idea to turn to an immigration lawyer for assistance.

Why consult an immigration lawyer?

An experienced immigration attorney can assess the strength of your application and help you through the process, indicating which steps you should take to qualify for the visa.   Furthermore, an immigration attorney can make your life easier, helping you sift through the paperwork and determine what you need to submit and what you don’t.

If you plan to start a new business, you should submit evidence of the investment fund transfer and a document that certifies your capital was obtained in a lawful manner.

Any responsible entrepreneur keen to increase the success rate of his application should consult an immigration lawyer before starting the paperwork.

An immigration attorney may also provide assistance in coaching you for the interview at the embassy, one of the many steps that need to be completed in the process of getting a visa. Generally, you can expect to wait 30 to 90 days before getting a response. Therefore, it is wiser to make travel arrangements after you got the visa instead of before you apply. Most of the time, the State Department processes the application within 30 days, but on occasion it may take longer.

Once approved, the E2 visa needs to be renewed every year. This type of visa does not require that you remain in the U.S., but allows you the option of returning to your home country anytime or traveling back and forth. This will come in handy if your family decides not to come with you to the United States. On the other hand, if your family (spouse and dependent children) wants to accompany you, they too can get E2 visas.

Frequently Asked Questions about Immigrating to the United States

Each year many people make the journey to the United States. Whether you emigrate from Mexico, Canada or an overseas country, there are rules and regulations that are put in place to help ensure that your move is as easy as possible. Each person who immigrates must file paperwork and wait for approval of a VISA or green card before they come to the country. The paperwork is very detailed and many people find that they are unable to complete it on their own. In cases like this, having an immigration attorney is beneficial. In addition, many immigrants also have questions they need help with and a skilled immigration attorney is the best person to answer these questions.

Is it Necessary to Have an Immigration Attorney?

In most cases, having an immigration attorney on your side will work well in your favor. The regulations that are established for immigrants tend to be very complex and detailed, like most laws. A skilled immigration attorney can decipher the laws and inform you of the conditions you must meet in order to be granted the Visa that you are apply for. If you submit the paperwork incorrectly, or even miss a single field, you will be denied entry and have to redo the paperwork. An attorney can make sure the information is complete the first time and prevent any further delays.

What Happens if I am Facing Deportation?

In case where you or a loved one is facing deportation, you will want to contact an attorney as soon as you can. The sooner you acquire an attorney, the better in most cases. An attorney will be able to help you complete all paperwork and stand before the judge explaining why you should be allowed to remain in the US. If you try to fight the case alone, you will not have the advantage of a skilled attorney fighting on your behalf.

Are there Different Kinds of Visas I can apply for?

Absolutely. There are several different types of Visas that an immigrant can apply for – a work Visa, student Visa or even an investment Visa. Each type of Visa has stringent requirements, so be sure to contact an immigration attorney to ensure you meet the conditions prior to applying for the paperwork. You can also apply for a Fiancé Visa or a Marriage Visa if you are engaged to or married to a natural born US Citizen or one who has obtained their green card.

Applying for the different types of Visas can be challenging which is why it is best to choose an attorney who is well versed in the different types of paperwork and the requirements that must be met. They can also help you put together the required documents with your application to be presented to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

What Do I need to Bring to my Meeting?

If you are meeting with a San Diego immigration attorney, whether on the phone or in person, you need to provide all of your necessary documentation. This includes your ID, birth certificate and other documents that you will need to fill out your paperwork. If you are unsure what you need to bring or send, ask your attorney for clarification.

To speak with a San Diego Immigration Attorney, contact us at 619-827-8777 or visit us online at